Thursday, June 19, 2008

June 2008: Executive Director’s Update

Dear Friends,

You are reading this because you share the vision that FARMS International has for helping the poor out of poverty. This is demonstrated by your care and support of this ministry. Like wise, it is always a delight when I find others expressing the same vision and understanding. Our numbers are growing! Missionary work is changing rapidly, and in many ways it is becoming more effective. More emphasis is being placed on indigenous leadership development and in creating an effective environment for churches to become self-supported. FARMS has been a pioneering voice for this paradigm.

FARMS has a saying that has become our trade mark, “Doing Good that Is Good!”. It is based on the scriptures that admonish us to “do good” to the poor. How we accomplish this “good” is so crucial. The following is short devotional found in SEIZE THE DAY with Dietrich Bonhoeffer, by Charles Ringma. Dietrich is known for his faith-driven resistance to the Nazis during World War II that resulted in his imprisonment and eventual execution on the final day of the war. His writings are very thought provoking, challenging us to live out our discipleship daily. This particular devotion puts into words the very essence of the ministry of FARMS.

Which Kind of Good?

“My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.” 1John 3:18

True love seeks to find a way to do a particular kind of good to the other person--God’s quality of good! And that always has the well-being of the whole person in view and not simply immediate blessings and short-term benefits. God’s kind of good always involves blessing, and correction, growth and pruning, giving as well as withholding. In seeking to do this kind of good to others, we need to be prayerful and discerning, so that we do what is ultimately the best and not what is presently expedient.

Doing for the other person what is God’s will for them calls us to prayer and purposeful action.

Psalms 41:1 says, “Blessed is he that considereth the poor….” The Lord “considereth” has a very rich meaning in the original Hebrew. It means to act circumspectly, with intelligence and prudence. This implies that we must look at all the circumstances surrounding the life of that poor person and not just look for a quick fix.

Thailand Update: The following project testimonial just arrived from our committee in Thailand. The story illustrates so well the effectiveness of the FARMS loan program. We are not profit driven as most micro-credit programs are. Our bottom line has always been increased evangelism through strong families and churches.

From Mr. Binka: I am the only Christian in my family. I am very thankful that I have had the opportunity to know Jesus as my personal Savior. I would ask for your prayers concerning my family. I want them to know the Lord too.
I have used the FARMS program money to do business. I am working to buy and sell as a trader between Thailand and a neighboring country. Before I had a FARMS loan I had a real struggle just surviving as I tried to find money to get my business started. When I borrowed from other places I could never get ahead due to high interest costs. [e.g. 60 to 120%]

After I began with FARMS I noticed that my life started to change very quickly and I started to get ahead. As a result I have prospered and in the same way I have been able to tithe to our church and we now have a new building. The FARMS program has been a real encouragement for me and has helped build my faith in Jesus.

I would ask your prayers for our family still in a neighboring country. They are very poor in both a physical and spiritual sense. There is also great persecution for those who have faith in Jesus our Savior. Sincerely in Christ, Mr. Binka

It is summer, and FARMS International needs your faithful gifts to carry out the ministry. Some of you may want to make FARMS part of your regular giving. Now would be a great time. The needs from the field are increasing due to the food and energy crisis around the globe, thus your help is especially appreciated and needed at this time.

Be in prayer as we embark on a survey/case study of our program in Thailand. One of our faithful donors has given a special gift enabling us to do this. We are laying the ground work to have this done by late fall. We believe this study will help us promote the ministry of FARMS in an exciting way.

Blessings in Jesus,

Joseph Richter
Executive Director
888-99FARMS
http://www.farmsinternational.com/

No comments: